Jan 23, 2010

Happy Birthday Ida

Today would have been my mom's 73rd birthday, everything about her that I thought was crazy, is who I am.. brutally honest and ever present! I shot this story for Trace last summer... an homage to my Mom.



This was the first blonde beauty I shot before the assignment... she had the exact shade I remembered my mom had.... I just asked to take her photo.



Nikita "I want to be different and outrageous. I want to stand out." and this was special because it reminded me of the mushroom cut but one side was shaved...



Shandi "I love being blonde because I love the attention." Although she was very skeptical of being photographed, she was amazing.



“Brooklyn Blonde”
Jenny Baptiste


In the mid 1970’s when my mom was in her 40’s she dyed her hair platinum blonde. For her, it was merely an outer expression of her personal style: bold, confident and eye-catching. This assignment was very personal as I feel every “Brooklyn Blonde” embraces the culture’s tradition of strong independent women that speak their mind and express themselves...........


more to come....

Thank you Claude and Mikaela

3 comments:

Neil MacLean said...

Beautiful images, and a nice homage to your mother.

JB said...

thank you so much... more to come, I got a little overwhelmed.

Tafari said...

The photo of Shandi is memorizing! Looking forward to your series!

Tafari